About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Wine Tasting

I like wine. Not in the Alan Partridge way (sorry, in joke for Brits who've seen that show!), but I like it. Last night I went to a wine tasting at my friends Marna & Rachel's place. It was a lot of fun, however I did learn something in the process. More about me than the wine - although I did discover that after you swish wine in the glass the streams that come down the glass are called "legs".

No, what I learned about myself is pretty simple. When it comes to wine I know what I like and I know what I don't like, but beyond that I'm pretty clueless, and I'm okay with that.  Whereas some people seem to be able to distinguish various smells and tastes from each other, and some may even be able to detect a particularly "woody" aroma or a "fruity" bouquet, I was unable to do any of that. Couldn't notice any difference in smell, couldn't distinguish tastes apart from ones I like or dislike. But that I could do.

Of the 5 wines, 3 were not so great and the other 2 were good, but at $18 a pop I wasn't going there. Only a very special person gets wine for more than $10 a bottle (remember that). I wasn't about to pretend I knew any more than I do, and I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who can detect different smells and subtleties of taste. Plus I am totally fine with not being able to do that. Heck, it's all about drinking and enjoying it anyway!

So for future reference, I like medium-sweet roses and reds. Simple as that. Salut!

No comments: