About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why I now hate Argos

Today I saw Clash of the Titans, and now I hate Argos! Here is a perfect example of cultural differences, because any British person who's seen the movie is already likely to know EXACTLY what I am talking about, and will probably need to read no more; so the rest of this blog will be mainly for my American friends.
Before I go any further, I should point out that the movie is a lot of fun, and worth checking out, however, it was RUINED for me by the aforesaid cultural differences.
Let me explain. In the movie, a lot of the action is set in the mythical city of Argos. In the UK, Argos is the largest general-goods retailer, with some 750 stores, using  in-store catalogues to browse and select purchases. In other words, a household name.
So every time I heard the word used - such as "We've got to save Argos" "Argos is under attack" etc. etc. try as I might, I could not stop myself sniggering.
Think of it this way, American peeps; it's like instead of Argos, you hear Walmart or Best Buy, or maybe Costco. Same thing. I bet you'd laugh too!
Anyway, aside from that rather large problem, it was an enjoyable enough movie, but with rather more comedy for me than the makers had maybe intended.

No comments: