About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Checking Motives

One of the things I have to check most in myself - day in, day out - is the question of why I do what I do. What are my motives? Do I have a hidden agenda in any way?

The Bible is very clear about the need to act with pure motives and a lack of pride. Among many verses, Proverbs 29:23 says: "One's pride will
bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honour." (ESV)
Philippians 2:3 counsels: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility, value others above yourselves." (NIV). You get the picture.

In the cut throat secular world, you would completely expect that "vain conceit" would be prevalent. After all, to those who do not know God, the gloves are often off when it comes to bettering yourself in your employment situation. But what about in a Christian organization? What do we do here? Whose example should we be looking to/ And how does ambition fit into it all?

Matthew 6:33 advises that we "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things [whatever your ambitions or hopes might be] will be added to you. But take heed also of the warning in James 4:1-2, which says "What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel." (ESV)

Although I would never go so far as to protest my perfection in all of this, I am nevertheless surprised and angered when I see people - especially in ministry - seeking to undermine the authority of others, picking and prodding at the credibility of those to whom God has given authority, all to satisfy THEIR own selfish ambitions.

If I ever thought I had any part in that, I would be horrified, yet those who persist in this behaviour seem either blinded by it, or able to concoct some twisted form of justification.

I intend to check myself carefully on my motives at all times.I would advise you to do likewise. After all, it's not for nothing the saying goes "Pride comes before a fall."

No comments: