About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Simplistic Joy

After several years of resistance, I finally caved and got myself a Kindle for Christmas, reasoning that I would be saving on space if all my books were stored on it.
So far I have downloaded just one book - this is only for budget reasons, and I have to say I found the whole process was very convenient. The Kindle is obviously less bulky than a book and it also remembers where you have got to in reading it!
Funny thing is though that however much progress we make in this technological world, there are some experiences that cannot quite be reproduced or bettered. For instance, the unique experience of holding and using a book (such as the Phil Cooke book I'm currently reading) is something I rather miss in the Kindle. I also have around 2 dozen books waiting to be read in the USA which I can't magically transfer onto my device (unless someone knows better!). In fact I just brought back to Stoke with me after a trip home 2 rather weighty "real" books which I am very keen to read, so the Kindle will probably have to wait until those are read.

It is strange to say it but sometimes technology cannot adequately replace some of life's experiences. Sure it can change them, and in many ways improve them, but there can often be an unexpected cost, or a sadness at life not quite having the simplistic joy it used to have.#It would be nice to hang onto that while we can!

No comments: