About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Right Guy

Okay, I'll come right out and say it. I'm simply not convinced that Mitt Romney is the right man to govern the United States of America. 

Let's be clear also. I am convinced that Barack Obama is not the right man to govern the USA either.

I realize that both statements will incur wrath from either side, but that's pretty much to be expected. I believe absolutely that both men are totally sincere in what they believe, but still I'm sure Romney fans will accuse me
of being anti-Mormon, while Obama fans usually take any disagreement with his policies to mean that such a person is racist.


Turning first to Romney, there are enough fundamental differences between Christianity and Mormonism for any deep links between the two to be wrong. That said, I have reached the point of view after much discussion with American Republican friends that as long as Romney's manifesto pledges do not conflict with our Christian beliefs, I can co-exist with him as President. 

That isn't really the issue though. Sometimes you just get a gut feeling about someone - the kind of feelings you definitely got with both John McCain and Sarah Palin - that something just isn't right. There is a lack of - for want of a better term - statesmanship, and I sadly have to say I get the same feeling with Mitt Romney. Nothing to do with his religion, just a gut feeling of something not being right, and at this stage my instinct tells me that he is not going to win November's Presidential election. I hope I am wrong.


Turning now to the incumbent, I made no secret of not wanting him to be President (although the alternative wasn't much more palatable, to be frank) for reasons of policy - although it is almost inevitable that I will be accused of racism to the point that even trying to defend myself is all but futile.

It is a real shame in this day and age, that you cannot disagree with someone's politics and opinions without being branded in a wider argument. It is the same in other sectors of public discussion, which I will avoid mentioning because of the can of worms it would open up.

Suffice it to say that I have openly disagreed with the POLICIES of Barack Obama, and I still do. I still feel he is not the right man to lead America, and I hope that he is voted out. However, I want to say as clearly as it is possible to make it, that I respect the individual, the person who Barack Obama is, and although you will find on Facebook plenty of disagreement from me as to his policies and what he stands for, I challenge ANYONE to find one single occasion when I have attacked the person that is Barack Obama, when I have slandered his character, and more importantly, his race. (and just as an aside, accusing someone of lying is neither racism or suggesting they are a habitual liar - even if they are!)

It is a shame that I have to say any of this, but in the scramble for moral high ground in this election, there is a rush to appear holier than the opposition.

In case anyone thinks I have no right to pontificate on America, that's fine. You are entitled to think that. I spent only 5 years living there, but that gave me a chance to get a small glimpse into the state of the nation, not one that gives me any authority, but one that gives me the right to have my say.

Sadly these days any form of worthwhile discussion on most social media is futile due to the guerilla nature of posters and commenters. It's more like hit-and-run than discussion, but I wanted to get my feelings out there.

I really hope and pray America gets the right guy in November. I have to say I have no idea who that should be, but my sense is that it won't be Mitt Romney. Whatever happens I continue to pray for my home from home, and I apologize if I have upset any of my friends who see Romney as the answer. I really, really hope you are right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well said. i find it funny everyone talks about obama as black. i thought he was mixed race!?

from a mixed race person in england