About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Bring The Rain

I had to edit a large number of teaching programs before this week's Pledge Drive at theDove, and this entailed going through and listening to much of them, in order to determine where to best position the edit that would chop the program in half. The program that most impacted me this week was the Focus on the Family 2 part interview with Todd & Angie Smith. 

Todd Smith is one third of the Christian vocal group Selah. He and Angie already had three daughters when she became pregnant with a fourth, whom they had named Audrey Caroline, back in 2008. It became apparent early on that there were serious problems with the pregnancy, and Todd & Angie had to make some tough decisions.

The outcome can be followed in a blog (now a book called "I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy") which has been read by hundreds of thousands of people, and which has provided comfort, inspiration and challenge to many more.
 
I was riveted by the Focus program when I listened back to it this week, and decided to investigate the blog further. It is lengthy, but also fascinating, compelling, and very emotional. The latest Selah album - "You Deliver Me" - includes as a bonus song a musical version of an open letter to Angie's daughter, written by her mommy and recorded by the group. It is a powerful, powerful song.

I could talk for hours about all this; how reading the blog and hearing the interview seemed to kick start something within me which wanted to get back to this incredible God who revealed himself through this extraordinary set of circumstances, and from whom I have been WAY too far away... 
but instead I will content myself with posting the link to the blog and encourage you - if you haven't already - to check it out, or better still, get the book. You will cry, you will laugh, you will be angry, but through all this you will see the fingerprints of God all over this story.
Take a look here


P.S. I ought to point out that on May 19th this year, Todd and Angie welcomed their daughter Charlotte Olivia into the world. God is good.

No comments: