About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stepping off the edge of the world.

I was at a birthday party last night in an amazing house perched up on the hills overlooking the city. My first thought on arriving was "This is heaven!". It was the kind of place and the kind of setting that, were I to live in such a place, I would seriously find it very hard to leave....at all.

What impressed me most though was that the owners were totally normal, down-to-earth people. In fact, many people I have gotten to know here in the States who might be considered to own what we in the UK might refer to as "luxury homes" are equally down to earth, and feel very much that what's theirs belongs to everybody.

This reminds me of my friends the Harpurs who live in Northern Ireland, and who were the people I met and stayed with when I first visited the Province back in the 80s. They then had a large house and had been wrestling with the whole question of whether it was too large, and whether they should downsize.

They came to the conclusion - and I agreed with them - that a house that big could  and should be a blessing to others. That it could be used, for example, for gatherings of youth groups and other fellowships, where other venues might just be too small. And that's exactly what they did. And it was a blessing. To many. And to them also.

God gifts us all in unique ways. It might be an ability, it might be a quality, or it might be a possession. What matters is not that you have it, it's what you do with it.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Amen to that my friend. Thanks for coming to the party, by the way! Your prayers are a blessing to us.

Krystle said...

I agree!!! I know so many with large homes who use it as a ministry tool! I know I would!!
Amazing to see all the ways God can use you :)