About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Graduation

My friend Breanna graduated from high school this weekend, as did a number of our church young people, with more to follow next weekend. This was the first time I had really been close to a graduation, and as I've already hinted on Facebook, it has been a really life-affirming experience.

In the UK the only graduations are for finishing college - which I did not do - so I never actually graduated, at least, not with any sense of having done so. Plus going to an all-boys high school means that I really have no happy high school memories. Elementary School - yes. Many happy memories!

I love the fact that in this country there are graduation ceremonies going all the way back to Kindergarten, but for me, what makes the high school graduation special is that it draws a line under a pivotal era in a person's life, and marks the beginning of a new stage in life's journey. I think we need life's signposts like this and just by looking at the faces of the young people and their families, it was obvious how much this meant to them all.

I guess over this weekend I've not only found myself wishing I could get back some of that long lost youth, but also feeling a great deal of pride in the young people, many of whom I do not know, who I saw resplendent in their caps and gowns, and for whom the future is an exciting vista of opportunity. I also felt a renewed sense of gratitude for the family I have here in the US, and also renewed admiration for schools like Cascade Christian High School, a school which I would have given anything to go to in my era.

Finally, to Breanna, Mason, Evan and all those others (yes, even Scott, graduating from college), I say congratulations and send my love. Enjoy the ride, guys!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Thanks for all you are to our family. It's always good to take a look at things from your perspective, because when I do I am reminded how blessed I am. :)

Krystle said...

Great post!
You would have loved the graduation speaker at Cascade, State Rep from Texas and boy did he put the fire under the kids!
So glad you were a part of the weekend with Bacc and the Garden Party! We love you!

teamholtz said...

Wish you could have heard the Cascade speaker. Best graduation speaker I have ever heard. Told the kids they don't have the luxury of waiting, they need to step out in leadership today! It was a life-changing speech. Breanna can tell you herself how life changing it was! I LOVE YOU, Kip!!!