About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Francesca Battistelli - My Paper Heart


It's not often that I get REALLY excited about a cd, but since September, two have come along that I can barely keep off my iPod. The first was Lincoln Brewster's fabulous "Today Is The Day" album, and now the debut from major label hotshot Francesca Battistelli.

What makes this album doubly exciting is that Battistelli is a committed, and very open Christian, a fact which comes over loud and clear on this Warner Brothers/Curb release.

Aside from a very cute paper heart shaped lyric booklet, you first notice just how mature a songwriter this 23 year old from New York City really is.

Immediate reference points I guess (although I really don't like having to do that) would be Sara Bareilles with a possible hint of Nichole Nordeman, but musically Francesca sails a lot closer to Bareilles, as the more up-tempo songs have some real guts and groove without being musically overbearing.

It's not often you can say, hand on heart, that there is not one poor song, or filler on a record, but I can honestly say this applies here.

There are three types of song really on display here; the uptempo rockers (opener "Free To Be Me", "Unpredictable"), the songs with a groove (the excellent funky title track along with "Blue Sky") and then the ballads, which on this album are not just used as quiet interludes, but which are quality songs in themselves.

Recent single "Beautiful Beautiful" is a sensitive worship song in which Francesca sings

"Now there's a joy inside I can't contain/But even perfect days can end in rain/And though it's pouring down/I see you through the clouds/Shining on my face"

The brilliantly simple worship song "Forever Love" which I could easily see being sung in churches accross the land, and closer "Time In Between", which is again very cleverly written.

The playing is at all times sympathetic and never overshadows Battistelli's work, and her voice itself is a tour de force; at times a powerful growl, at other times a soft purr, but always mesmerising.

This album will easily sit in my top 3 for 2008. Francesca is coming to Medford in November, and I for one cannot wait to hear her in person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Steve.

We just wanted to thank you for blogging about Francesca! We are excited that you liked the CD and we wanted to let you know that we have featured your blog on her website!

The link to your direct post on the site is:
http://www.francescamusic.com/content/francesca-battistelli-my-paper-heart-steve

Thanks again for taking time to get the word out about Francesca!