About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Mosaic - by Amy Grant


Those who know me well will be aware that I've long been a fan of Amy Grant's work, stretching way back to my first album of hers, 1985's Unguarded.

That interest wasn't waned over the years, and so it's probably no surprise at all to hear that as a Christmas present to myself I bought her new book of writings, poetry, song lyrics and reminiscences, "Mosaic".

The book has been criticised by some because it doesn't deal adequately with Amy's somewhat controversial 1999 divorce from first husband Gary Chapman, but that is missing the point. This book is not, nor does it ever pretend to be, a Life Story. It is rather a collection of thoughts and memories, many of them intimate, many of them brilliantly insightful in a way that doesn't over-intellectualize, many amusing, and many which bring a lump to the throat.

Okay, like I say, I'm a fan. But there is still much I have learned from a book which I read this afternoon from cover to cover, virtually in one sitting.

I have always liked Amy's uncluttered approach to life, with total honesty, even if she is falling into a briar patch. It helps us all to feel that it's okay to be "human".

Mosaic will surprise you with a sudden spiritual depth, and it will probably happen when you least expect it, and it is most definitely worth delving into.

No comments: