About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Faith & Doubt

The last few months have been both exhilarating and difficult. The enemy has a habit of knowing those things with which we struggle most, and he sure knows my weak areas. This has made for a highly frustrating time lately, as I realize I cannot extricate myself from the traps without God's help. Big time. 


Little things help though. This morning at church, Rob Phillips reminded me (or at least God used Rob to remind me) that even though my sins are the same over and over again, God doesn't get exasperated because he chooses not to remember the sins and therefore each is new to him. This gives less cause for guilt, though no less motivation for doing better.

Reading Michael Gungor's book "The Crowd, The Critic And The Muse", so many things come to light, not least of which is a reminder that doubt and faith are inextricably linked. Without the presence of one of these, fundamentalism takes control.

I experience many moments of doubt in all areas of my life, but it is not until there is silence and peace that it is possible to really start to process it all. Some quiet reading time today gave me a chance to get quiet with God in his surroundings. There's some way to go still, but I think I may be on the right track.

No comments: