About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Dan In Real Life


Well here was a nice surprise. I guess I expected the latest Steve Carell movie to be one long line of laughs, but instead I got a warm, endearing, clever and ultimately feel-good film about a widowed father of three daughters who writes an advice column for newspapers, but who could really do with following his own advice.

Taking his kids away to his parents' for a vacation with his very large family of brothers and spouses and children, he meets on the way a fascinating and alluring lady (Juliette Binoche) who turns out to be linked to the family in an unexpected way.

In the course of the movie, Carell's character Dan has to ask himself some serious questions to do with moving on after his bereavement, what his career ambitions are, and how much of a priority he should make his daughters.

Steve Carell really surprised me with his ability to play a "normal" guy, and to really draw you into his hurts, fears and insecurities, and you cannot help but warm to his character and to that of his girls.

Juliette Binoche is excellent as are the entire extended family, who you believe really ARE a family. Great ensemble playing.

So I laughed, cried, and ultimately felt a warm sense of well being out of "Dan In Real Life".

I wouldn't necessarily describe this as a chick flick, but it's definitely one I'd recommend for all manner of reasons.

No comments: